Sunday 23 October 2016

Sunday post 46; It's Monday, What are you reading? 32



The Sunday Post is hosted by Kimba here; http://caffeinatedbookreviewer.com/2016/10/sunday-post-236-am-i-up-or-am-i-down.html and is a chance for a chat and a catch-up with fellow bloggers each week.

The 24 Hour Readathon takes place every April and October, and you can find out about it here: http://www.24hourreadathon.com/

It's Monday, What are you reading? Is now hosted by Kathryn, and it can be found over here: http://bookdate.blogspot.co.nz/

Let's see ...

I'm only sort-of doing the readathon, which is what I always do. I dive in, read as much as possible in the time that I have given that it starts at 1am my time, and cheer on other readers on the twitter. This year I managed to read half of Nevernight by Jay Kristoff, which I'm really digging. I've put it down for the night now, and will encourage other readers.

I blogged last week - actually did a few posts. Finally wrote that Secret Life of Pets review I've been threatening, wrote a couple of readathon posts, and also reviewed Alexis Hall's new novel, Pansies.

Went to a quiz night last Wednesday with some friends - we usually do all right, and came in fourth, which was a pretty respectable showing.

Got a few more job rejections, but I'm trying to ..... not be down about it? I'm looking into ways to fill in my time, like maybe volunteer work of some sort, or picking a subject I really want to know more about and doing some research. You know how we always say "I'd do .... if I just had TIME." Well. I have time. I'm going to keep applying for jobs, I just refuse to let the process grind me down. A self-pity pit is an easy one to fall into but climbing back out of it ... so. Ideas?

What would YOU do, if you had the time?

I've signed up for nano next month as well. At the moment I'm planning on writing Dragon Age fic, but the idea I have for that is ridiculously complicated, so I might have to change it.

I finished Illuminae on Saturday, and really enjoyed it, though I did find the format a bit annoying. So there should be a review of that coming up this week. I'm halfway through Nevernight, so possibly will review that this week, too.

It's Labour Day here tomorrow, which means spawn will be home from school. Other than that for this week, my goal is to ... get out of my own head a bit. Look into volunteering, and maybe some kind of studying for next year if I can't find a job. It's a much more disheartening process than I realised, but I refuse to let it grind me down. REFUSE.

Anyway.

How's your week?

What are you reading?

7 comments:

  1. Fourth is a very respectable showing! When I used to work at a pub me and the other staff members had a team (at the pub we worked at) and it was a personal achievement that we came last every month!

    Laura
    a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things get better. Good luck on Nano, maybe I'll sign up it might help with my writers block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of Nevernight and Illuminae. Best of luck with NaNoWriMo - what about spending some of the time you've currently got planning out your novel? In the meantime, best of luck with the job hunt and hope you find something soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never done the readathon- as much as I love to read, the idea of binging for 24 hours doesn't really appeal. But I love seeing how everyone does... and rooting them on. And the quiz night sounds fun.

    Good luck with NaNo, and I had mixed feelings on illuminae. Liked it, geeked for the next one, but it wasn't my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay that you're doing NaNo!!!

    Sorry to hear you're still struggling on the job front. Having been there for a few years I can relate but don't have any helpful advice other than not to let it get you down too much. If you do consider volunteering, perhaps check-out if there's anything in your area of interest. A friend of mine did that and then a part-time position opened up and she got it cos they knew her etc..

    I shouldn't be too complacent. My gig is just a one-year thing and is up in Feb so I might be job searching again soon. (Although I do already subscribe to a few job search sites!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there. That perfect job is waiting for you to find it. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental My Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Job hunting is absolutely the worst. Keep your head up! Volunteering can be a great way to add to your resume, while also helping you keep busy and active, and giving back to others can really help keep your spirits up!

    ReplyDelete